BCSD Administration Center
3311 18th St., Bettendorf, IA
(563) 359-3681 Ext. 3001
FormsForm A 2019-2020
Home Language Survey
Competent Private Instruction
Competent Private Instruction (CPI) means, briefly, instruction provided on a daily basis for at least 148 days during a school year by or under the supervision of a licensed practitioner or other person which results in the student making adequate progress.
The Private Instruction Handbook 2018-2019 is an excellent source of information about the options, requirements, and responsibilities of private instruction published by the state Department of Education. Please familiarize yourself with this information.
If a child has been identified as requiring special education programs or services, please consult the handbook for options and procedures.
The Private Instruction Comparison Chart is a simple guide to help determine what is required for the private instruction option you choose. The chart explains Competent Private Instruction vs Independent Private Instruction.
There are two options for enrolling a student under CPI in Iowa.
Option 1: by or under the SUPERVISION of a licensed PRACTITIONER
- Choosing this option requires you to submit a Form A to the district by September 1 of the enrollment year.
- It also requires you to submit evidence of immunizations upon first time enrollment.
- Students MAY dual enroll in academics or extra curricular activities (Complete additional forms above)
- The Iowa Assessments shall be provided at no cost to fulfill the annual assessment option by notifying the district home school coordinator by October 6.
Option 2: by a non-licensed person
- The child is receiving private instruction by a non-licensed person.
- You MAY but are not required to submit a Form A to the district by September 1 of the enrollment year.
- You MAY but are not required to be assessed annually. The Iowa Assessments shall be provided at no cost. Please notify the district home school coordinator by October 6.
- The student MAY dual enroll in academics or extra curricular activities. IMPORTANT - Form A, evidence of immunizations upon first time enrollment, and annual assessment results MUST be filed with the District if the student dual enrolls.